Re: [Banshee-List] New contributor

Hi Jonas !

Sorry for not replying earlier, I guess everyone is busy working on
the upcoming 2.0 release ;)
A few suggestions and pointers below.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Jonas Urth Olsen <jonas urthnet dk> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I would basically like to start participating in the development of Banshee,
> so thought the first thing to do was to write here, to figure out the best
> way to start this. I have started bit coding on a very simple feature I was
> missing when switching from Rhythmbox, which is being able to show a
> “Currently playing”-notification with a command-line option. Coding this
> would also give me some understanding of the codebase and architecture.
> This mail should be seen as an invitation to give me some suggestion on
> which parts of Banshee that needs work, would the best be to just find some
> bugs on Bugzilla (which seems down now btw.) that seem interesting to me and
> go with it?

I'd recommend starting with something small, maybe something from
Bugzilla. If it's not in there, create a bug for it.
I think my first contribution to Banshee was a one line patch for a
silly mistake in a log message. ;)

The bugs with the "gnome-love" keyword indicate something that is
considered suitable for a new developer, so it might be a good
starting point :
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=gnome-love;query_format=advanced;keywords_type=allwords;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;bug_status=NEW;bug_status=ASSIGNED;bug_status=REOPENED;bug_status=NEEDINFO;product=banshee

> Are there other places that would provide good information about development
> of Banshee and opens source development in general, other than the website,
> Bugzilla and monodoc.

You're already on the mailing-list, that's good ! :)
I'd also recommend hanging in our IRC channel : #banshee on irc.gnome.org
If you have any question about the code or the architecture, IRC is
probably the best place to ask.

The wiki pages might also help :
https://live.gnome.org/Banshee/
And in fact helping to maintain and improve those pages would also be
a great contribution !

> I'm new to opens source development, so any guidance is great :-)
>
> Thanks for at great project.

Happy hacking !

--
Bertrand Lorentz