Re: [Banshee-List] Sharing Metadata across several computers

Thanks for the response, that is a possibility, but does not do all that I
hoped for and without a lot of scripting, which I am probably not good
enough at yet not automated enough for the non tech music lovers in the
house.

The way I understand it is on a stand alone computer you would have a set of
folders with the music files in, banshee then imports the track location and
metadata into a database structure somewhere so it can display the items on
the screen. Any updates to the metadata, plus scoring, plus the links
(remove from player, remove from disk) take place through the db.

Basically I want one "master copy" of the db to be shared across all systems
and if possible updated by more than one system. This could be stored on the
NAS, which has a gigabit lan to all fixed systems and wireless to the two
portables.

rsync would allow me to keep a version of this db and I would have to save
it every time I do an update and restore a copy to every machine before I
start banshee. From my limited knowledge of rsync (I use sbackup, which
could probably do the same) this could be done, but not ideal for EoU with
non tech and has the potential for getting various versions out of sync.

I had thought of perhaps saving the db in a dropbox folder to automate the
updating and syncing whilst leaving a local copy of the db for performance
reasons on the lap tops.

Having read the on line help for banshee I cannot work out how what files I
would have to move and how to set the location preferences for these files,
if I had that info I could try an experiment and share the results with
people.

Also banshee has some metadata storage options in edit>preferences which
appear to be undocumented, again a bit of info on this and I would be
willing to document them for the project.

So what I think I need is:

1. has anybody done something similar before and how? if not
2. name and location of files which store metadata
3. how to get banshee to place these somewhere else (e.g. a dropbox folder)
4. info on the edit>preferences options if they will help
5. any advice and guidance people may have

If not then I will keep 1 version of the "truth" on one PC and then use
rsync or sbackup to do a daily back up of that and restore to each PC when
it is turned on or on a daily basis.

-----
Life is complex, part real and part imaginary.