Re: [Banshee-List] IPod/IPhone encoding

"Encode to" is only relevant when the device doesn't support the file format (e.g. my Creative Zen didn't support all AAC files, so M4As were being transcoded). If the iPod supports FLAC and M4A then they'll be copied over as-is.

If the iPod doesn't support FLAC/M4A and you just want M4A instead of MP3 then try running Banshee from the command line. You should see some messages on the console about options that GStreamer doesn't support. I think they appear when you open the Properties on the device, as I saw them while tinkering with my Zen and I only had WAV available. One of those should relate to M4A (if GStreamer supports encoding to it) and it would mean that you've got the codec for playing but not encoding.

Hope that helps.