Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee behaviour with compilation albums

> 1) How to mark an album as a compilation :

There is no need to mark an album as "compilation" within Banshee. Every
album with two or more different artists is recognized automatically as a
compilation album. Furthermore there is no such official tag <COMPILATION>.
This would be redundant. See http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html#TCMP

> 2) How to group multi-artist releases under a "Various Artists" entry :

This multi-artist tag is known as "ALBUMARTIST", "ALBUM ARTIST", "BAND",
etc. but the underlaying tag is always TPE2 in ID3 syntax ("ARTIST" is
TPE1). Many players like Windows Media Player, ... use TPE2 to group albums.

I personally don't use "Various Artists" because *all* compilation albums
would be sorted in the same group. A lot of these albums are part of a
collection (eg. Greatest Hits of the 70's: Vol.1, Vol.2, ...). Instead of
using "Various Artists" I named the tag "Greatest Hits of the 70's". This
works fine for me

Take a look at: http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

BTW:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3tag Mp3tag  is a award winnig freeware
program that runs in Linux with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29 wine .   You can edit
thousands of media files at the same time with one single action...