Re: [Banshee-List] Ipod (hate it)- Sync entire library

phoneboxboy wrote:
> 3) Not an Ipod question as such more a general banshee question that can
> probably be answered here; I have banshee configure to write playcounts
> and ratings to files, yet no other program or the ipod can read the
> ratings left by banshee. I use a combination of genre and ratings to
> create smart playlists and it appears that banshee does use the
> popularitymeter tag but with banshee: preceding the score. is this common
> or just not a widely supported feature?

To the best of my knowledge, adding banshee is common and uncommon at the
same time.  The POPM tag has a field for user or email address in addition
to the 0 - 255 numerical value.  My guess is the reason for this is so that
you can store your own ratings in a tag, and so can someone else with a
second POPM tag.  For example, if you and your sibling shared a music
library and you prefer Rock and he/she prefers Rap.  While all of the
Artist, Album, Title, etc info would be valid for both of you, the song's
rating would not.

I have noticed that instead of putting an email address to distinguish the
rating, apps tend to put their name in that field.  Windows Media Player
does this as well.  It puts something along the lines of "Windows Media
Player" and version.

Good luck getting other software to import these ratings.  I actually had to
write a small app just to get my ratings I originally set in WMP to work in
Songbird.  Not only do you have to get the "email" field of a POPM tag to
match, you also need to make sure the rating systems are consistent.  I
mentioned above that the rating can be a number between 0 and 255.  WMP and
Songbird both have 5 star scales, but WMP uses 1, 64, 128, 196, and 255
while Songbird uses 1 - 5.

Since how the POPM tag is used isn't standardized, it will require work
converting ratings from one app to another.