Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee tray icon is invisible + media keys problem.

Chow Loong Jin wrote:

> This problem is probably due to dbus-daemon not running. I'm not sure how
> to go
> about fixing it, but Banshee requires D-Bus for inter-process
> communication,
> i.e. for banshee --toggle-playing, banshee --next, and others to affect
> the
> currently running Banshee instance. Without D-Bus, Banshee does not know
> that
> there is already a running instance and will create a new one.

Thanks for the help. I considered this, but when I checked my list of
running daemons D-Bus was already running. Thanks to your suggestion, I
found out that there are actually two types of D-Bus daemons. One that runs
system-wide, and the other that runs for a user's session. I didn't have the
user session one running. Once I started that up, everything worked like a
charm. So, thank you very much!

For anybody that's curious, the below will automatically start a
user-session D-Bus daemon for you, instead of having to launch Banshee with
"dbus-launch banshee":

if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval "$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)"
fi

Now if only I can figure out my icon problem!