Re: [Banshee-List] Slightly improved MTP support

Hey,

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:48 PM, David Nielsen <gnomeuser gmail com> wrote:

> 2010/6/30 Alan McGovern <alan mcgovern gmail com>
>>
>> Questions:
>> Are we ok bumping the min requirement to libmtp 0.3.0. It's about 2
>> years old, it should be fine.
>
> A quick look at downstreams show that Ubuntu would be supported 2 releases
> back plus the current development. All supported versions of Fedora have
> supported builds (and downstream seem willing to do such updates for us if
> we need). I don't have data for openSUSE as their system isn't that easy to
> figure out but I am sure they also have a capable version, anyone who hasn't
> really should be encouraged to update.

openSUSEs version is more than new enough :) When openSUSE 11.0 was
released (more than 2 years ago), libmtp 0.2.6 was available. However
there are packages for libmtp 1.x available now so that should be no
issue. OS 11.1 and 11.2 are more than new enough.

> It seems safe to me.
> I have one or two MTP capable devices and so long as this is easily
> installable in Ubuntu Maverick then I am more than willing to retest all my
> previous mtp related bugs and run it through it's paces.

This fix will *only* affect detection of devices. Nothing else. If
your device has failed to be detected by banshee in the past, it will
be detected now. I may end up taking a look at some of the existing
MTP related bugs in the future (i have a device myself) but that
depends.

> A lot of work is starting to depend on the udev work alex is doing, how
> close are we to having this mergable?

We're getting there. As Alex has already said, we're practically at
the stage where it'll be usable in alpha/beta form for git users.
That's where we'll start finding the remaining bugs (if any :) ). If
you want to test it right now just grab our git clone at
http://gitorious.org/+banshee-hw/banshee/banshee-iphone . It is
confirmed to work with an Android mass storage, my Creative Zen MTP
and my iPhone. Someone else tested with an iPod and it worked afaik.

Alan.