Re: [Banshee-List] making and maintaining a roadmap?

Since you Banshee devs probably don't have much else going on today - I mean,
it's *just* a beta release ;) - I thought this would be a good time for me
to finally get around to putting up that roadmap that I've been promising.

What I ended up doing:
It's a couple simple tables grouped into broad release categories (right now
this only includes 1.6 and Future).  Each row lists a feature/fix, a more
specific target release if one is available ("Beta 5" for example), and a
status (Committed, Branched, Patched, Planned).

What still needs to be done:
Tomorrow I plan on adding links to relevant resources like bug reports, git
branches, or blog entries so that interested users can find more details on
any particular feature.  I also plan to add a short paragraph explaining the
purpose of the roadmap - it should be clear that this is a resource for
curious users more than a blueprint for developers - and a key to explain
the "status" options for users who aren't familiar with commits, branches,
and patches.

This may seem like a strange time to publish a roadmap since many of the
items will become obsolete with the release later today.  I chose to work on
this now, though, because I figured it would be easy to use the NEWS section
from the 1.5.4 release to fill the content.  Now that the framework is up, I
definitely don't mind keeping things up to date more regularly.  There are
probably already features that are planned for 1.5.5 that I don't know about
(or long-term features that I've forgotten to include), so if anyone notices
anything missing, it would be helpful if you'd chime in here on the mailing
list.

I'll stop by #banshee tomorrow to talk about some specifics; for now I need
some sleep.