Re: [Banshee-List] Large File Size and Unable Read Your iPod

If you request help, always try to give as much info as you can, i.e.,
version of banshee you're using? distro and version?

Now, I reply inline:

Larry escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Boy, I hope someone can help me. I switched from Windows to Linux
> several months ago, and from iTunes to Banshee. I finally got Banshee to
> work (thanks to the help from several people on this list!) and imported
> a bunch of CDs a few months ago. It worked great, and I haven't used it
> since. (Tough to buy CDs when you are out of work.  :-( )
>
> Anyway, I bought a CD and just imported it and have 2 questions (which I
> could not find the answer to):
>
> 1) My import format is the default FLAC. It seemed to take a lot longer
> for this CD, and when I checked the files sizes they were all in the
> high 20 - mid 30 MB size range! This really surprised me, so I looked at
> some of the other songs I imported a few months ago and they were all
> around 7 - 9 MB.

Take in account that FLAC is a lossless format, so it's quite normal
that the file sizes are much bigger with it than any other format (such
as MP3).

> I didn't change any settings, so does anyone know why this would happen?
> I'm worried because if the file sizes shoot up by 3 times that means
> that's 3 times as less music I can fit on my iPod.
>
> 2) When I plugged my iPod in to sync with the CD I just imported, I got
> an "Unable to read your iPod" error message. It says I need to rebuild
> the iPod database. But I already did this the first time I switched from
> iTunes to Banshee, so why is it asking me again?

After doing that "for the first time", did you try to use it with iTunes
again? If yes, that's the reason. That's an scenario not supported. If
you want to use Banshee, don't use iTunes.

> Plus, the bottom graphic that shows the makeup of one's music player
> says that all of the files on my iPod (46 GB worth!) are of type
> "Other", i.e. none are of type "Audio" - when audio is the only thing I
> have on my iPod.

That seems to be a bug. What version of ipod-sharp are you running?

> Like I said, I hope someone can help me. All I wanted to do was import a
> CD...
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Larry

Regards,