[Banshee-List] cyrillic albums not showing album art/no contact with last.fm or amazon.com

So far i've managed to get through my troubles by searching through forums,
but there comes a stage where i give up. sorry if this has been covered
before!
I've recently made the brave step from windows to ubuntu 9.10 - the reason
being i was fed up with microsoft, wanted to sample ubuntu and recently
purchased a htc hero and wanted to test out banshee that apparently syncs
quite well with it.
So far it's been not bad (for some reason my htc wouldn't be recognised by
banshee, but eventually it did!)

My problem is currently with album art. Apparently this is retrieved from
the tags, then last.fm then amazon.com. But i haven't noticed any of this
happening - even if i click "download album art" when something is selected
or not - nothing happens.

Another problem is that i have a small number of russian albums with the
album and track names in Cyrillic. For some reason, despite being tagged and
having cover.jpg of the album art in each folder, there is no album art. I
even went into the .cache directory and made a few jpgs of the album art,
copying the style of how the other albums there are written. I've refreshed
the library, deleted and re-added the tracks dozens of times. nothing seems
to work.

even weirder, when i sync these tracks to my htc they go through the process
of copying, but when i look in the music directory or open my htc player,
these albums don't show up!

any ideas? i'd appreciate any help with any of this - starting to think the
effort was a bit wasted now because whatever i try out, there is always some
problem - even if it is a small one!

another questions, while i'm here (i hear eyes rolling... sorry!) how can
you add m4b audiobooks to banshee? they don't seem to be recognised or
divided away into their own section? i've searched around for this,
apparently it isn't a feature that's been added yet?

thanks!