Re: [Banshee-List] Trying to get a generic player to sync with Banshee

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 19:12 -0700, David Fox wrote:
> Well, my prior mp3 player more or less worked, except it had some
> problems. It was an IVO Sound M620/4gb. That player stopped working
> last week, so I picked up a generic 16gb mp3/mp4 player from
> ProEbizLLC via Amazon earlier in the week.
>
> While I can automatically mount and copy files/folders to the device
> in Linux (so it looks and acts like a drive rather than mtp mode)
> Banshee does not recognize the device as nothing shows up on the left
> hand pane when the device is mounted through normal means (i.e., plug
> the usb cord in, wait, tell it to open the device using Dolphin).
>
> Any places I can look, or get more info?
>
> The device is here:
> http://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-Player-Plays-Without-Conversion/dp/B001FB1NDG/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243044204&sr=1-37

Do you have HAL on your system ?
Banshee uses it to interface with media players.
If yes, and if your device is indeed a mass storage media player, it's
probable not recognized as such by HAL.

The proper way would be to update HAL's configuration files. This page
seems to be a good post about this :
http://blog.pcode.nl/2006/08/introducing-hal-to-your-digital-audio-player

You could also add a ".is_audio_player" file at the root of your device.
This page describes what you can put in that file :
http://www.floccinaucinihilipilification.net/wiki/index.php/.is_audio_player_file_format

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>