Re: [Banshee-List] ANNOUNCE: Mirage 0.5.0 released

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 18:35 +0100, Dominik Schnitzer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Dominik Schnitzer
> > <dominik schnitzer ofai at> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We are happy to release version 0.5 of the Banshee Mirage extension.
> >> This version works with the latest stable Banshee releases (1.4).
> [...]
> >
> > Do you think moving Mirage (or at least the Banshee-specific parts of
> > it) into Banshee svn (soon to be git) would be a good idea?
>
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> I think integrating Mirage more tightly in Banshee could lead to new
> innovative ideas besides "just" automatic playlist generation, which I
> think would be great!
>
> It would be fine for me to move the Banshee-specific parts into
> Banshee, but maintain the Music-Similarity-Processing library
> separately (under the GPL license). That means it's also ok (at least
> for me, Bertrand?) to relicense the Banshee-specific stuff under the
> permissive Banshee license.

Obviously, I'm all for having the banshee specific parts of Mirage in
the banshee source repository. I also have no problem with relicensing
to the MIT/X11 license. As long as there are no actual lawyers
involved ! ;)

Just to make sure we're on the same page, let me write down what I'm
thinking :
- What is currently in the libmirageaudio/ and Mirage/ folder would
continue to live as they currently do, and be released as a separate
package, without any banshee dependency.
- Banshee would have an optional dependency on that package
- What is currently in th Banshee/ part if the mirage source code would
be moved to banshee svn, into src/Extensions/Banshee.Mirage

What needs to be done, IMO :
1/ Do a quick review of the API provided by Mirage.dll. There might be
things that we want to change or clean up now. I have zero experience in
API design, so suggestions are welcome !
2/ Move the code
3/ Profit ! ;)

Cheers,

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>