[Banshee-List] ipod and CDs don't always automatically appear in Banshee 1.4.1

I'm having trouble getting my ipod shuffle to appear in the left hand pane in
Banshee. I'm also having trouble getting my audio CDs to appear so that I
can rip them automatically. I suspect there is a problem with hal or with
gnome "Removable Drives and Media Preferences".

I have, at various times, been able to get my ipod to appear or get my CDs
to appear, so I know that this can work on my system. But I can't make them
work reliably and together. I'm using Debian Lenny with the latest banshee
pulled in from experimental.

Would anyone be able to help me by telling me which packages and libraries
are used for automounting the ipod or audio CD so I can check that I've got
the right packages installed please? Can anyone explain exactly how to
configure automounting of my ipod and audio CDs so I can check each step is
working please?

Apologies if this is covered on the wiki, which seems to be down for
de-spamming at the moment. Thank you very much in advance!