Re: [Banshee-List] Crossfading and BPM detection

I want to come back to the mention of playbin2.

Is anyone working on gapless playback using the new element?  Some projects are now working this into their players, and I would really welcome this feature in Banshee.  I know I brought up crossfading, but, upon reflection, I think this is a more important feature than crossfading.

Also, has anyone given any thought on how to handle gapless playback of MP3s?  As I understand it, generally, it can't really be done very reliably.  However, MP3s encoding using LAME can add some tags that indicate how much "gap" has been added to the start and end of the song.  If gapless playback was implemented, it would be great if that could get in as well.  Then, there is iTunes encoded music, WMA, etc.  Perhaps it would be best to just start with LAME?

So, if nobody is working on it, how open are the devs to someone taking a crack at it? It would involve hacking the gstreamer stuff in libbanshee.  I recall a thread about someone being kind of against putting crossfading into Banshee, so I'm wondering if there is a similar feeling with gapless playback.

Neil

I think crossfading would require using a new GStreamer element, maybe playbin2.

Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>