[Banshee-List] Tooltips in columns (Was "Re: Re vamping the Music Library Columns")

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM, nulall <nul all gmail com> wrote:
>> I second this idea and please make better use of tooltips over visually
>> incomplete items like many other media players do.
> Tooltips block other visible data in the list and there are plenty of
> times when you'll get an unwanted tooltip when mousing over the library.
> (Aaron's thought, if I recall.)

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Windows Media Player does this in a nice
manner (see attached picture), only displaying a tooltip for the column
under the mouse, and only doing so when the data is not fully displayed.
Obviously there has to be a reasonable delay before the tooltip pops up, but
I think that this would be a great feature.  But maybe this is a convo
better had on bugzilla...

http://www.nabble.com/file/p19616275/wmp.jpg

Actually, I'd suggest it'd be better had here since it's more of a discussion (though one of the developers may disagree) of the relative merits; a bug can be filed to capture the general feel once everyone speaks up.

That said, I said what I thought before, but I do have to admit that WMP's are appropriately done: they cover the information they're providing, and (unless the tooltip gets longer) little more.

Anyone else have anything to say?

--
Andrew Conkling
http://andrewski.net