Re: [Banshee-List] iPod problem

I am also having this problem on Ubuntu 8.04 (Banshee 1.2.1, installed from
the "ubuntu" repositories I found on the banshee website).  There are at
least a few others on the Ubuntu forum who also have the problem (
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865777 ). My ipod is not new (iPod
video, ~ 3 years old) and works fine with GTKPod (and at least loads fine in
rhythmbox - don't use it to transfer music).  I do not have ipod-sharp
installed (at least I can't see it in synaptic), podsleuth is installed.  I
saw the page that suggested building ipod-sharp 'from source' but I'm one of
those people who avoids compiling (despite using Linux for ~ 3years).  So I
have a few questions:

1. Is ipod-sharp required (ie a dependency)? If it is, why isn't it in the
Banshee repository (for idiots like me)? Can some someone point me to a
solution if this will fix things?
2. Is this a bug? Will it be fixed in a future release?

I'd really like to use Banshee - the newest version looks great, and if
everything works, I can probably get rid of GTKpod, gpodder and rhythmbox!!
But, I'm afraid that proper iPod support is a deal-breaker.

Some advice/help/instructions who be greatly appreciated.