Re: [Banshee-List] Ubuntu Problem w/ banshee-1 series

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> Where do I report problems running it on Banshee, with PPA at
> LaunchPad or at Gnome's Bugzilla?
>
> For now I'll toss my symptoms here. I've been unable to play any sort
> of audio since my install of Hardy a couple days after its release. I
> have just about anything gstreamer related installed. I've been
> compiling by hand, but did just try an uninstall and the RC1 from
> launchpad. This gives me the same results I've been getting from trunk
> for awhile. I expect it is a problem with my system, but I am getting
> no debug output of interest the file just sits at 0 and doesn't
> progress, make any sound or anything. It's like it's frozen, but I can
> move to another file, last.fm stream or podcast. I can queue things
> up. I can do everything but make the file play. When I installed RC1
> through apt-get, it didn't add any depends so it seems that's not the
> problem.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> JSR/

Sounds to me like a broken PulseAudio installation. I don't think it can
happen on a fresh install, so I expect that you messed it up somehow
after the install or did an upgrade.

The fix:
1 Make sure the following packages are installed:
  - gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
  - libasound2-plugins
2 Set up GStreamer to use PulseAudio.
  2.1 Open gstreamer-properties (run gstreamer-properties from Run)
  2.2 Set everything under Audio to use PulseAudio sound server.
3 Set up ALSA to use PulseAudio.
  3.1 Run the command "asoundconf set-pulseaudio" in a terminal.
4 Make sure pulseaudio is running
  4.1 Run "pulseaudio" in the Run dialog.
  4.2 Verify that it's running. "pidof pulseaudio" should show a number.
5 Make sure PulseAudio is started up when you login.
  5.1 Open Sound Properties (System->Preferences->Sound)
  5.2 Under the "Sounds" tab make sure that "Software mixing (ESD) is
checked.

The above steps are to make sure that everything is set to use
PulseAudio. The default settings in Ubuntu Hardy should already be set
like that.

OSS applications should be run with the "padsp" wrapper which is similar
to "aoss" which wraps OSS for ALSA.
--
Hyperair