Re: [Banshee-List] Multi-Artist albums

2008/7/23 Steven Coté:
Personally, I don't think either solution is particularly ideal. I'm not too sure what the solution is but as it stands now, there's two scenarios that I can think of where the Album Artist and Track Artist are different.

1. Soundtrack/Compilation - AA = Various Artists, TA = different artist names.
2. Album with guest artists - AA = Foo, TA = "Foo, featuring Bar"

In scenario 1, I think using the Track Artist in the artist browser is the right thing to do. This will give you a complete list of all artists in your library, regardless of what album their track is found.

In scenario 2 though, the Album artist is a much better solution, because it gets rid of silly duplicates of the artist Foo (I want "Foo featuring Bar" and "Foo featuring Baz" to just be listed under "Foo").

Now, ask me a hard question like, what do we do about it?

I like the Amarok approach, so I would show always the Album Artist it it exists, if not I would show de Track Artist. Anyway, if I want to find all the tracks of some artist, I use the search bar, not the browser.

By the way, is there a way to hide the browser, or at least put it tabbed in the left side as Amarok or Exaile?