Re: [Banshee-List] Fwd: Lastfm 2.0 access

Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 13:12, LCID Fire <lcid-fire gmx net
> <mailto:lcid-fire gmx net>> wrote:
>
>     I have a few requirements:
>     - It has to be LGPL or a more liberal license (since I don't want to be
>     forced to license my lastfm library under the GPL)
>

>     Looking around I did not find a single library which would do these
>     things. So finally I decided to implement one on my own. Looking at the
>     proxies they are all licensed under GPL so I can't even start using one
>     of those - so I'm starting from scratch.
>

> If you rule that criterion out, would you be in better shape?
I would - since I could use a minor proxy and change it so it runs
within one process.

> I'm curious, without going off on too much of a tangent, but why so
> concerned about not using the GPL?
Because when I release an inprocess proxy library or a lastfm library I
don't want to force anyone else to use the GPL - with the LGPL you can
link to the library as long as you don't extend the library - which is
e.g. needed for Banshee with its MIT License.