Re: [Banshee-List] Play Queue name?

On Jan 27, 2008 1:30 PM, Brian Kerrick Nickel <brian nickel gmail com> wrote:
> I always liked what Windows Media Player called it, which is "Now
> Playing". This name might only be apt the way they did it, though,
> where the source you were playing from appeared there whether or not
> you were organizing a specific queue.

Yes, I quite like the "Now Playing" too. However, it's not really a
play queue... it's closer in function to the Rhapsody Mixer.

For the benefit of people who haven't used WMP, I'll describe its
behaviour in more detail:

Whenever you start playing from any source, it basically replaced the
"Now Playing" list with the contents of that source (Library,
Playlisy, Device ec). If the source is contrained by a search or
navigation, then only the currently displayed contents are used  --
e.g. if it only shows one album,  then only that album is used the
replace the "Now Playing". If for any reason you directly open a media
file from outside the player, although it obviously replaces the Now
Playing list, you get a nice command 'Resume playing "Now Playing".'
that recovers your list.

What makes it similar to a Play Queue is that there's a context menu
command "Add to Now Playing" that appends the selected tracks to the
Now Playing list. This command is also available in Windows Explorer
for audio files, as "Add to Media Player list". However, the tracks
are *not* automatically removed from the list after they're played.

Also, there are commands to shuffle and sort the Now Playing list, to
save it as a playlist, and to clear it. All in all it's a pretty nice
feature for constructing playlists and burn or synch lists, and is a
passable replacement for a play queue -- but it isn't quite one. I'd
be quite happy with this idea being called "Now playing" or "playing
next". Adding a command/toggle to "Clear all played files" would be
awesome -- it'd then be a superset of the Play Queue.

--
Michael Hutchinson
http://mjhutchinson.com