Re: [Banshee-List] What can I do to get into the project? I'm purchasing an iPhone...

Jim,

<novell-hat>
I am speaking officially from Novell when I say we are not going to
pursue supporting the iPhone/iPod Touch at this time. While I certainly
encourage any efforts to provide compatibility, we cannot justify the
resources to directly undertake such an effort.

At Novell, Gabriel and myself are the only two people working on
Banshee, and neither of us are full-time at this point. We add up to
maybe 1.2 people. An undertaking like proper iPhone support would
require at least one full time person.

The undertaking also is not just about getting it to work once, rather
about continually reverse engineering at every update Apple produces -
and there will be many with changes made simply to break third parties.
They have employed this practice for years, and it's only going to get
worse.
</novell-hat>

<personal-hat>
Personally, it's incredibly frustrating and saddening that Apple is so
litigious and invoked the DMCA on you. They do not have a legal case
though (of course, IANAL), as I'm sure you are aware. There's a specific
clause in the DMCA that negates the other clauses for the specific case
of interoperability.

It is for this reason that we even started working on iPod support many
years ago, and continued when Apple introduced "Hash 58" - the original
iTunesDB hashing [1].

If we were concerned about the DMCA holding up here, we would not have
invested the resources in iPod support, and we certainly would not have
distributed the code in our distributions.

Nothing has changed regarding the DMCA with the iPhone and its myriad of
ridiculous obfuscations and encryption layers. The difference is that
it's technically much more difficult to deal with, and will likely
change more rapidly to keep competitors on the constant task of reverse
engineering.

However, your actions in taking down the information are understandable
since it's unlikely that you could ever fight Apple on your own. So
there's a part of me that would like to see Apple invoke the DMCA on
Novell... but even then I'm unsure of what our course of action would
be. I'm just an engineer.

The best thing that can happen right now is a collective body like the
EU taking action against Apple for non-compete/monopolistic practices,
like they did against Microsoft. A company of Novell's size likely can't
or won't directly take on the issue unfortunately. A class action suite
is really what is in order if it's not going to be handled in the EU.

Worrisome and unacceptable it may be, but it's reality. If we do not
encourage people to try alternatives to Apple, we risk losing that 30%.
And it's an important 30%.

That being said, I encourage any efforts to break the iPhone and allow
compatibility. We'd love to include working code in Banshee, and I'm
always available to test and provide guidance where needed.
</personal-hat>

Apologies if this mail is grim - I do greatly respect the efforts of all
working to break this beast - but we have to budget our constrained
resources for areas where they are most effective.

Best,
Aaron

[1]
http://anonsvn.mono-project.com/viewvc/trunk/ipod-sharp/src/Hash58.cs?view=markup