[Banshee-List] Importing cds with banshee, my experiences.

I just finished ripping my way through about 100 cds, and I thought I'd
provide some feedback on the experience.

First, of the approximately 100 cds about 15 of them fell victim to the
waiting for metadata problem.  Banshee seems to hang while waiting for the
metadata from musicbrainz.  The data exists and sound juicer seems to have no
problems downloading and displaying it.

I'd say about 30 of the albums I ripped did not have their disk id on
musicbrainz, but did have a corresponding release.  sound juicer makes it
really easy to add the disk id to musicbrainz, by having a button that opens
a web browser with a musicbrainz page with the disk id.  It would be really
nice if banshee could do the same.

When ripping a multi-artist cd, the track artist and album artist are both set
to the track artist value.  This means that ripping a multi-artist cd does not
produce a nice multi-artist album in the album browser, but a separate album
for each track.  Although it is pretty easy to change the album artist to fix
this, it would be nice if there were a way to make this work when ripping.

When changing these files, I thought I'd be clever and set the album artist to
soundtrack or compilation, hoping that I could use that value in the artist
browser to see all the soundtracks or compilations.  However it appears the
artist browser currently uses the track artist.  This make sense to me as
well, however I was wondering if it would be possible to display both the
track artist and album artist, thus enabling me to see both the individual
artists and have compilations/soundtracks grouped together.

I did read through the multi-artist discussion from July.  It seems like the
configurable browser windows that were discussed would only use one tag at a
time.  Would it be possible to extend that so that I could get both the track
and album artists listed in one browser window?

Finally, just out of curiosity, I tried ripping a cd with sound juicer.  It
was much faster than banshee.  It seemed the average multiplier I saw when
ripping with banshee was in the 5-10x.  With sound juicer I got speeds in the
15-20x.

I hope this is helpful.

Darin

--
Because all other Floccinaucinihilipilification Homepages are worthless.
http://www.floccinaucinihilipilification.net