Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee on Fedora; packager needed

2008/8/16 Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com>
2008/8/15 David Nielsen <gnomeuser gmail com>:
> said we need a new maintainer. I would be willing at to at least comaintain,
> I have been banging at podsleuth lately trying to make it like me again,
> still a few issues left though. If anyone wants help to share the burden
> then hit me on mail.

What do you think of using the openSUSE Build Service?  It's capable
of targeting Fedora 8 and 9, and would mean a lot less redundancy
between our packages.  Would require some .spec changes/merging, but
probably wouldn't be too bad.  I've been using it recently, and it's
command line tool (osc) is really great.

I think that would not be acceptable. It needs to go through Fedora, the spec needs to live up to the strict review standards and by going through our buildsystem it will be available directly in Fedora - naturally this is a requirement if Banshee was ever to be made the default media player in our gnome desktop spin, a little hope of mine. Signing over control of Fedora packages to a system which Fedora does not have any control over would be considered insecure also the specs I have seen from OBS would never pass our review processs.

For something like that to work, we would need openSUSE and Fedora to share all packages in the same repo, and that is a political and technical decision to be made and debate by the two communities.. I would love such a situation, it would make work a whole lot easier and spread the workload for packagers, but it does not seem likely to happen just yet.

What I would like to see happen would be our mono packagers working more closely with you openSUSE people to come up with a better standard for packaging mono. Currently 90% of patches in our mono based packages are to correct the hardcoded ${prefix}/lib instances to make it fit into a multilib world. The rest tend to be prebundled dlls that we need to ignore and build against system libraries for security. Those 2 issues would likely be able to go away if the Mono project and downstreams could help form guidelines for projects to follow. Removing that burden and the burden of rebasing and updating those patches between rpm bumps would remove 99% of the pain and agony mono packagers face and thus make it easier for you to see your project in all downstreams.

- David