Re: [Banshee-List] Moving Files

I use Ubuntu so commands below will be Ubuntu specific.  If you use
another distro you'll have to grab the packages the way your distro
does.

Here goes:

install the tool to modify sqlite databases
$ sudo apt-get install sqlite3

sqlite is a nice database, but it doesn't have all the cool features
of a full featured database like mysql, postgresql, oracle, etc.  So
the way I'm going to recommend fixing this is to dump the database
that holds your data to a file.  Then you can do a search and replace
with a text editor and recreate the database.

backup your database in case something goes wrong
$ cd ~/.gnome/banshee
$ cp banshee.db banshee.db.bkup

Dump the database.
$ sqlite3 banshee.db .dump > backup.sql

Now update backup.sql using your favorite text editor.

Then reimport.
$ rm banshee.db
$ sqlite3 banshee.db < backup.sql

That should be it.

-- Trey

On 5/1/07, Andrew Conkling <andrew conkling gmail com> wrote:
On 5/1/07, Josiah Ritchie <josiah ritchie gmail com> wrote:
> I've changed my username with a fresh install to clean-up after myself
> and now my banshee database is out of whack. I copied it over, but it
> apparently recorded an absolute position for the files. I'd rather not
> recreate for myself a second home directory just to stash my music.
> I'm trying to clean up the clutter after all. :-)
>
> I need to change /home/jritchie/.* to /home/josiah/.* for all the
> files in the banshee database in order to straighten this out.
>
> I'm sure there is a quick cli command that will do this with sqlite,
> but I don't know it. Can someone share this knowledge?

I asked something similar on the F-Spot list a few months back and it
was recommended that I try Mergeant.
http://www.gnome-db.org/ScreenShots

I still haven't tried it, but I expect the same would work with
Banshee. I'm also sure there's a sqlite command, but I also don't know
it. :P

PS: What happens if you rename your files? They'll disappear from the
database, right? (This is me soliciting for an answer to my quesiton
of a few weeks ago. O:-)

Cheers,
Andrew