Re: [Banshee-List] code question

Agreed. Whole-heartedly.

I run behind a proxy here at work and a few weeks ago we changed proxy
server addresses.  I lost count after a while, but it was well over ten
places that I had it hardcoded (although many were scripts of mine).

My two cents:
Write code in Bansee to read GNOME proxy settings (if they exist), and
make use of them wherever possible.  Else assume that Mono has the proxy
settings or that the user does not have a proxy.  You can write this and
deploy it in no time.

Solving the big problem of the fact that Linux has a dozen places to set
your proxy revolves around the fact that sometimes different users on a
box have different proxies, and different networks that you connect to
can have different proxies.  A decent, platform (distribution + window
manager) agnostic place to implement this would be in NetworkManager.
>From there, NetworkManager could set mono proxy settings and gnome proxy
settings, and with a bit of trickery could likely set the HTTP_PROXY env
variables without requiring a user to log out.  While not everyone uses
NetworkManager just yet, those who do not are usually people on fixed
ethernet where your proxy server rarely changes and could rely on some
fixed, distribution-specific setting.

I hate proxies with a passion.  My rage builds just thinking about my
proxy here at work.  If only I was the sysadmin...

Cheers,

Patrick

--

Patrick "Trick" van Staveren