Re: [Banshee-List] code question

On 1/10/07, Ville Lindholm <ville lindholm gmail com> wrote:
I'm trying to think this in terms of an average desktop user. He/she
might have found the "Network Proxy" menu item, but probably knows
nothing about environment variables. And as you said, introducing a

I totally agree that users are more likely to find the Gnome proxy
settings than to set an environment variable.

However, I'd argue to use the Mono settings for two reasons:
* Banshee might not always be running on Gnome.
* Mono's proxy configurations options are far more powerful than Gnome's.

I really wish that the Gnome proxy settings would set HTTP_PROXY, or
that there were a way for Mono to detect the Gnome settings without a
hard dependency.

gnome dependency in Mono is really not an option. But even if you might
be right, I think I'll still finish the patch just for practice :)

If you want to do this, all you need to do is to set
System.Net.GlobalProxySelection.Select or
System.Net.WebRequest.DefaultWebProxy (they should be pretty much
synonymous, but the former is deprecated in 2.0) before anything
starts using the net, and everything else should take it from there.

--
Michael Hutchinson
http://mjhutchinson.com