Re: [Banshee-List] code question

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 08:47:02AM +0200, Ville Lindholm wrote:
> Michael Hutchinson wrote:
>  > I don't think that this is necessary. Banshee already respects the
> > Mono proxy settings if you're using a recent version of Mono (1.2 or
> > later). Mono takes its settings from machine.config, and the default
> > setting is to read from the conventional HTTP_PROXY environment
> > variable. A lot of tools use this, so most users with proxies should
> > have it set up.
>
> I'm trying to think this in terms of an average desktop user. He/she
> might have found the "Network Proxy" menu item, but probably knows
> nothing about environment variables. And as you said, introducing a
> gnome dependency in Mono is really not an option. But even if you might
> be right, I think I'll still finish the patch just for practice :)

Or maybe a system where if there is a gnome proxy but no mono one, it
takes the one with a value?  Chances are greater (I'd think) that
someone has set the gnome proxy vs the mono one.

Or, if there are two values, add a choice in the UI?  Or would that just
confuse things even more?

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"Backups are for people who don't pray."                 -- big Mike