Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee crashing constantly

For future reference...

...particularly when you think you've found a bug that is unique to Gentoo (you said you switched from Ubuntu and had not previously witnessed this issue), I would suggest first filing a bug on bugs.gentoo.org and letting Gentoo dev's work with it first. Often times it can be an underlying library that has been broken and gentoo developers can make use of that information to either
(1) see that the problem is corrected, or
(2) explain what kind of accidental portage mumbo jumbo got your system into the banshee-crashing state that it's in :)

At times, wacky bugs make it into Banshee's bugzilla which, in fact, have nothing to do with Banshee -- but an underlying library of some sorts :)

Also, Banshee won't suffer at the hands of agressive CFLAGS as, well, Banshee is written in .NET -- it doesn't care about your CFLAGS when you compile it. However if you were to compile mono itself with some nasty CFLAGS (such as -fomit-brain-cells -fomit-sanity -fomit-coffee), I'm sure mono itself would break - but you'd probably notice that and Banshee crashing would be one of many mono applications that would break :)

Go ahead and follow the guidelines on the debugging page as it will produce a full useable stacktrace for us and we'll help you best we can :)

Cheers!

Patrick
(fellow Gentoo GNU/Linux user)

PS: follow the gdb instructions down to a 'T' - you need both the gdb macros as well as the signal handlers in there. Mono throws signals all over and you won't be able to get Banshee to run under gdb otherwise.

--
Patrick "Trick" van Staveren
http://trick.vanstaveren.us