Re: [Banshee-List] Problems purchasing from iTunes Music Store

On 11/27/06, Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 bellsouth net> wrote:
Hi! I'm sorry if this is a known problem or whatever, but I just
discovered banshee. I compiled the newest version (0.11.2 i think) on
Ubuntu and installed the iTunes plugin, but I can't buy anything. I have
an account set up and I did tell it my account and password, and it does
let me search and attempt to purchase songs. It asks me if I want to
purchase, and when I click 'Yes' it says 'Buy failed ()'. What does that
mean? I ran it from an xterm, but it didn't give me any errors. Thanks!
-Steven

Have you ever purchaced music with a version of iTunes greater than 5?
IIRC Apple changed the authentication method after that, and added a
flag to deny purchases from earlier versions if you've ever bought
stuff with a version that supports the new authentication.

Either people aren't really interested in supporting the new
authentication stuff, or (more likely) it's techincally difficult to
do.

I believe a work-around is to set up a new iTunes account, and use
that, making sure that you never use that account in iTunes.

All of this breaks iTunes terms-of-service, of course, I've never
tried it (although it has worked before), and it's been a while since
I've seen anyone try this.  It's entirely possible that Apple has
closed this loophole permanently.