Re: [Banshee-List] iPod Transcoding

On 3/7/06, Forrest Voight <voights gmail com> wrote:

> Try playing with the iPod transcoding settings in prefrences. m4a (MPEG layer 4) is a newer standard then mp3.

Don't bother trying to transcode to MP4/AAC (the Banshee option is
"Faac MP4") - it doesn't work, has never worked (as far as I know),
and Aaron has no plans to fix it.

I'm not sure why the option is even in there.

For anyone who wants to try and fix it, what is needed is to add the
ffmux_mp4 gstreamer element to the pipeline, after faac, because faac
just produces raw AAC frames, not a proper mp4 file.  Without the
extra info in the mp4 headers, nothing can play the output.  I've
tried, but there's some bad interaction between the "spider" plugin
used to decode files & the ffmux_mp4 plugin.  Also, ffmux_mp4 is not
yet available in GStreamer 0.10.