Re: [Banshee-List] Plugin in the works: Alarm Clock

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 04:07 -0400, Trick van Staveren wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I've been starting to work on a new plugin for Banshee - an Alarm Clock plugin.  Has
> anyone worked on this?  If so, LMK, so we're not duplicating efforts :)

Hi,

I've been working on something similar. I'm trying to replicate the
features from the xmms-alarm plugin for XMMS and beep media player.
I've got some working code, but it still needs some work.
I'm still waking up with beep media player...

> Features I'm working on:
>
> Sleep timer:
>  * ability to set a timer that when it's up, will pause playback.  Great for when
> you're loving your tunes but don't want to hear them ALL night.
>
> Alarm timer:
>  * will start playback at the given time.
>  * "recur" option - if enabled, will set the timer again for the next day at that same
> time.
>  * volume setting - will change the volume to a certain level before playing.  This way
> you don't have to set it before you go to sleep.
>
> Future ideas:
>  * sleep timer - make it so it fades out the song, or stops at the end of the song
> rather than just pausing in the middle of it.
>  * alarm timer - volume change will be gradual.  will set the volume when the alarm
> first goes off, and will gradually increase it to another value over a span of seconds
> or minutes.  All three values will be settable.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions for me?  Like I said, this plugin is more in
> the concept stage (I have more pencil sketches than actual code)...so I'm open to
> ideas :)

What is working in my code :
- Start playback at a given time
- Set the volume before playing

What is implemented but doesn't work
- Gradually change the volume while playing over a period of time.
The volume just gets stuck at the first value.

The configuration options need some UI love. For now it's just a bunch
of SpinButtons.

Things I'd like to have :
- Set different alarm times for each day of the week. I don't want to be
waken up at 7am on a Sunday morning because I left banshee running...

The sleep timer is a good idea, and should be easy to do once the alarm
stuff is done.

I planned to put the code out when I have a working plugin, but I'd be
happy to share the code now.
I just need to find a place to host it. (Looking towards the banshee
subversion repository. If the admin is reading this... ;)

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz free fr>