Re: [Banshee-devel-list] GStreamer-Sharp

On 10 June 2013 16:45, Chris Hubbard <chris_hubbard sil org> wrote:
I have been looking at using GStreamer-Sharp in a project and I wanted to find out the feasibility of using it.  I noticed that Banshee has two audio backends that use GStreamer.  I wasn't certain whether Banshee was using GStreamer-Sharp, moving away from it, or trying to switch to it.

I searched the banshee-devel-list and found a thread (https://mail.gnome.org/archives/banshee-devel-list/2013-March/msg00001.html) on "GStreamer 0.10 no longer maintained".  It seemed from the thread that currently Banshee is using a customer interop to a native dll which used GStreamer 0.10 C interface.  It seems that the goal is to switch to the GStreamer-Sharp interface in the near future and upgrade GStreamer-Sharp to work with GStreamer 1.0.

Is this still the plan?

Yes.

 Who can I talk to about the upgrade of GStreamer-Sharp to work with GStreamer 1.0?

We hang out in irc://irc.gnome.org/banshee and irc://irc.gnome.org/gtk#

 Are there significant issues with 0.10 that I should be aware of (other than no more maintenance for it)?

The version of GStreamerSharp that wraps 0.10 is based on GLibSharp 2.x. As far as I understand a new GStreamerSharp that wraps GStreamerSharp 1.0 would need to use GLibSharp 3.x (from gtk-sharp's master branch). So the only way for banshee to do this is to complete its Gtk3 migration (including gconf->gsettings migration which I'm working on).

I mention this because:
- We need help, and your time/expertise would be appreciated, and
- Most importantly, newer versions of glib are bringing more and more restrictions in regards to GObject registration. So far we have already fixed the first of the issues in gtk-sharp master branch, but the fix is not so easy to backport to the 2.x branches. Therefore, it's not only that GStreamer 0.10 is no longer maintained; the binding to it may start to not work in newer versions of glib very soon.

  Andres