Re: [Banshee-devel-list] [banshee-devel-list] BCE packaging

Hi,

A few comments below.

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 19:40 +0700, Frank wrote:
> I think the especially the last point you're making is quite
> important. Sure it's always desirable to have new extensions out as
> soon as possible, but from how I understand you I think BCE
> developers/maintainers should consider carefully:
>
> * when is a good time to release a new extension?
> * is the extension mature enough yet to be included in packaging?
> * are all release requirements fulfillled?
>   ---- What are they? How do I find out?
>
> Can releases of new extensions be bundled in a good way? since we're
> in schedule with banshee releases, that could be difficult, but it
> could be motivation to meet release dates for some.

As you might have noticed, we now have a "stable-1.6" branch in the
gitorious repo. This should be for bug fixes only, so we probably won't
add new extensions on that branch.
As for master, we've been quite liberal in adding extensions, as having
a low barrier to entry is one of the main point of BCE. Especially as
it's easy to disable any problematic extension by passing
--disable-extensionname to "configure".
What we have done and might do again, is have an extension disabled by
default in the build. This would send the message "use this extension at
you own risks". We should make sure to update the "configure" output and
the documentation if that is the case.

> I would volunteer to extend the BCE wiki a bit by some best practices,
> especially a package release checklist, again lowering the border to
> write new Extensions.

That'd be great !