Re: [Banshee-devel-list] BCE documentation

Hi, late reply below

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 12:08 +0700, Frank wrote:
> I've created a new wiki page:
> http://www.gitorious.org/banshee-community-extensions/pages/MonodocBuilding
> describing what I did. I am not very good with Makefiles/build
> systems, so there might be a much better way to compile the initial
> doc.xml file. I tried using the Compiler option in MonoDevelop without
> success. Maybe adding a doc target to Makefile.am would be the way to
> go, but I don't know exactly how to do it correctly. Any improvement
> is very welcome.
>
> Furthermore, is it a good idea to push the resulting doc to a "doc"
> directory in the repository?

I started working on integrating code docs in the build system, copying
stuff from the Banshee build system, as usual. It should make generating
and updating docs quite less painful than what is decribed on the wiki.

In the LiveRadio extension, the doc is in xml comments inside the code,
which brings several problems, practical and esthetical :
1/ When the XML comments are processed using the -doc option of gmcs,
any missing bit of XML or anything that looks like bad XML (like the
e-mail addresses in the file headers) generates a warning.
As we build with the "warnaserror" flag by default, this make the build
fail.
2/ Inline docs make source files needlessly verbose, as the objective of
those docs is to be browsed outside of the code, using monodoc

My suggestion would be to have the code documentation live in separate
XML files, like we do in Banshee (see the docs/ directory). Those XML
files would be committed to the git repository and included in the
source tarball.

Frank and others, what do you think about this ?
If we're OK, I'll commit the relevant bits for the build system.

--
Bertrand