Re: [Banshee-devel-list] External track metadata (recommendations, WP, etc)

I started on a metadata service API a few days ago. Currently there's a
Rhapsody implementation that only fetches cover art. There's a patch in
bugilla to get embedded cover art from files.

New backends can be written to it that fetch any kind of metadata they
want. The Rhapsody one can be easily extended to parse extra metadata.
I'll port the MusizBrainz support to this new service, and will probably
be deprecating the old MusicBrainz metadata search plugin.

The new API is used to fetch metadata on track change. I've never really
been fond of the "do it all at once" method that the metadata search
plugin uses. The rich metadata is really only useful on active tracks,
so I really like the new approach.

See:

src/Core/Banshee.Base/Banshee.Metadata
src/Core/Banshee.Base/Banshee.Rhapsody

The backends can implement the low level interfaces or the high level
schedule provider, which will automatically use the kernel scheduler
(this is preferred and probably just fine for most providers).

Of course, this is just the brains of rich metadata :) Currently,
whenever you play any type of track or stream in Banshee, if it has
metadata, the cover will be downloaded from Rhapsody within a few
seconds of starting playback and displayed automagically. It's a sweet
new experience!

--Aaron