Re: Trying to build on Mint 20 ... [msg2mw gmail com]

Those look OK to me.  Can you post part of config.log?

I'm so sorry. I didn't really know about config.log. I'm really not used to doing this. There are some very obvious errors in there, for example:

gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
gcc: fatal error: no input files
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'; did you mean '--version'?
gcc: fatal error: no input files
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
gcc: fatal error: no input files
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'; did you mean '--version'?
gcc: fatal error: no input files

Do you want me to post the whole log?

Look for the lines

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

and post the ten or twenty lines above those. That should include the error message and will give an idea exactly where in configure it is failing. Make sure you include some lines above any which have "result: no" in them.

Here are those, for whatever it's worth:

configure:14050: checking whether to use an external spell checker
configure:14250: result: configure enchant
configure:14347: checking for  enchant != 1.6.1
configure:14354: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors " enchant != 1.6.1 "
Package enchant was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `enchant.pc'
No package 'enchant' found
configure:14357: $? = 1
configure:14371: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors " enchant != 1.6.1 "
Package enchant was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `enchant.pc'
No package 'enchant' found
configure:14374: $? = 1
configure:14388: result: no
No package 'enchant' found
configure:14404: error: Package requirements ( enchant != 1.6.1 ) were not met:

No package 'enchant' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables SPELL_CFLAGS
and SPELL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

ac_cv_build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu