Re: [RFC] Workaround for broken message index row heights

Hi Peter & Jack,

thanks a lot for the quick reviews!

Am 17.07.20 01:03 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
Looks good to me too--current GNOME desktop. I haven't seen an issue yet. But…that issue seems to have been
less frequent recently, so for me it would take several days of testing to develop an empirical sense of
whether it's working.

I also use Gtk+ 3.24.20 on Ubuntu, using xfce as desktop environment, and Clearlooks-Phenix as theme.

The behaviour is somewhat inconsistent: Open Balsa, row heights in some mailbox tabs are mixed up.  Close
Balsa, and open it again (without any new messages being loaded or old messages erased in between), and the
row heights are /sometimes/ correct.  Or close the mailbox tab, re-open it, and the heights are /sometimes/
fixed, but in some cases they are broken when they were fine before.  For me this looks a little bit like a
timing effect (race condition?) in the height calculation code.  However, completely disabling bold and
italic fonts (which is of course not what we want) in the index seems to fix the issue reliably.

OTOH, I also noticed the same effect in the file selection dialogue of the TOR browser, which does /not/ use
different fonts.

A while ago, I tried to write a minimalistic example to reproduce the issue, without success, which again may
be an indicator for some strange kind of race or timing effect.

OTOH the fix looks rational and hasn't caused any other issues yet, so merging it into master looks good to
me!

OK, I'll create a merge request…

Thanks, Albrecht.