Re: [RFC] Workaround for broken message index row heights

Hi Albrecht!

On 07/15/2020 01:46:19 PM Wed, Jack via balsa-list wrote:
On 2020.07.15 08:40, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi all,

I /think/ I finally found a workaround for the sometimes broken display of the row heights in the balsa
message index, apparently caused by GtkTreeView's automatic calculation being confused by rows being printed
in bold and/or italics.

For testing, I created the branch “index_row_height_workaround” in which the cell renderer heights are forced
to the maximum of 1.25 times the standard font height and the status icon heights.  Drawback: if the standard
font is changed in the global settings, the required row height is re-calculated only after a restart of
Balsa, which IMHO is acceptable.

For me, this *completely* fixes the issue, but some more testing with different themes and Gtk versions would
be really helpful.

Hi Albrecht,

So far, looks good.   gtk+-3.24.20.  Plasma theme is oxygen.  As near as I can tell, my gtk+ theme is
Adwaita, but changing it doesn't seem to affect Balsa visibly.  (I'm primarily a KDE/Plasma system, with
minimal gnome stuff, and only a bit more gtk based stuff.)

Jack

Looks good to me too--current GNOME desktop. I haven't seen an issue yet. But…that issue seems to have been
less frequent recently, so for me it would take several days of testing to develop an empirical sense of
whether it's working.

OTOH the fix looks rational and hasn't caused any other issues yet, so merging it into master looks good to
me!