Re: PGP popups are b0rken on ssh tunnel usage.

Hi Jack:

Thanks a lot for testing this issue, this is really helpful!

Am 29.09.18 02:09 schrieb(en) Jack via balsa-list:
Now I see a difference between running locally and over X/ssh.  Locally, I see a popup in the upper right of the screen
with things like "Detected a good signature with insufficient validity/trust."  When running over X/ssh I see
no such message anywhere.

Ok, looks like the same behaviour as I observed with the VM.  However, there are *no* hangs as observed by
Mario, right?

No popups, not on the console.  I think the "(balsa:3174): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: unable to send notifications
through org.freedesktop.Notifications: Timeout was reached" might be a hint to what is missing.  I suspect some
configuration difference gives me just that warning, but Mario gets some type of disruptive notification.

Afaik, GIO tries to send the notification to the dbus instance /on the machine where Balsa is running/, i.e.
in the tunnelled case the remote one.  Thus, if DBus is running at all, it has no knowledge about the ssh
tunnelled X11 session, so the notification is directed to the completely wrong desktop.  I have no idea if
DBus can be tunnelled through ssh, too (on my box, it always listens on a local unix socket, which ssh cannot
forward).  So I agree with you that Mario's issue is probably caused by a (DBus?) configuration issue.

I don't think it will be possible to fix it within Balsa, apart from adding a config item to disable desktop
notifications entirely.

Best,
Albrecht.