Q: are specific C marshallers obsolete these days?

Hi all,

while playing with the extension for LibBalsaServer's GET_PASSWORD signal to fix the issue of certificate
password retrieval, I stumbled over the use of specific C marshallers for our custom signals.  IIRC, they
have been used this way since many, many years in Balsa.

However, the GObject Reference manual, section “How to create and use signals” [1] states:

“The C signal marshaller should always be NULL, in which case the best marshaller for the given closure type
will be chosen by GLib. This may be an internal marshaller specific to the closure type, or
g_cclosure_marshal_generic, which implements generic conversion of arrays of parameters to C callback
invocations. GLib used to require the user to write or generate a type-specific marshaller and pass that, but
that has been deprecated in favour of automatic selection of marshallers.”

For me, this raises the question whether our custom marshallers are /really/ still needed, and for what
reason?

Cheers,
Albrecht.

[1] <https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/stable/howto-signals.html>