Reply to Group [was: Re: [Patch] IMAP goes GIO]

On 05/29/2018 10:44:12 PM Tue, Jack wrote:
…
I haven't tried the new code yet, but ....     Remember the "principle of least surprise."  Not even opening
a reply window is surprising.  Opening one without the TO: filled in is much less surprising, even if unexpected.
However, given that the change from current behavior is minimal - it makes sense.

We can use the warning popup to tell the user how many selected messages were not from mailing lists--that
way, the user gets a compose window for replying to each message that did come from a list, and is told why
the others are not there.

What would be nice (but I suppose might take "magic") is to recognize a list address in either To: or CC: if
the usual markers of the message coming from a list are not present.

I doubt there's a regex that can do that reliably--it would probably need a database!

I wonder (long term wishlist, not short term reality) if list addresses could be added to a list, so they
could be so recognized?  This could work if any individual only had a small number of lists where this issue
occurs.

Perhaps a special address book? And an option in the "Store Address" dialog to store an address there? And some code in
the compose window to look for a match in it, when all else fails in "Reply to Group"? A merge request would be welcome!

Best,