Re: [Patch] IMAP goes GIO

Hi Albrecht:

On 2018.05.15 13:24, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Am 15.05.18 19:01 schrieb(en) Jack:
[snip....]
It works for me for yahoo, gmail, and privateemail.com (the email provider for NameCheap). Two out of the three give a "Server-side threading not supported." but that seems informational and harmless. I have not yet checked debug messages. The only issue for me so far is that if I look in the IMAP inbox and then "Check" for mail, "Next unread" seems to sometimes take me to the IMAP inbox, even though it is then empty, since the message has been deleted once POP3 downloaded. Normally, I won't be checking the IMAP inbox unless I have some other problem, or really want to check the IMAP SPAM folder, so I'm good here

Question: Right now, I have Thunderbird set up for IMAP access to all my email accounts, which I use either when I get a POP3 download error (increasingly rare) or to check the server's SPAM folder, since POP3 no longer downloads those files. I'd be quite happy to use Balsa for that, but I don't want it to bother checking IMAP under normal circumstances. Is my easiest solution to just create a separate user with a completely separate Balsa config? I'll definitely try that, just to test the IMAP access (yahoo, gmail, and privateemail.com.)
The connection to the IMAP server will be established only when any of its folders is opened (actually, a separate connection for each folder, as required by the standard). However, closing the folder will send a LOGOUT, but /not/ terminate the connection. The connection is shut down only when Balsa is closed. Something which needs to be fixed.
If I've already looked into one of the IMAP folders, then simply holding a connection open is not an issue for me. I'm just happy it doesn't go opening those connections if I only want to do a POP3 fetch, so I'm happy here.

Is there any good description of the varions IMAP configuration settings? Related to that, the User's Guide doesn't give any indication of version or last update, so I don't know how recently it's been updated. In addition, the link to the "Email FAQ" leads to a "...not found on this server" so at minimum, that needs updating.

My particular questions are the distinction between imap mailbox and imap folder when setting up imap access. In addition, is it possible to group all my IMAP folders under a local folder under my "mail" folder, similar to how I can physically specify a folder for new mailboxes?

Final issue, unrelated to POP3 or IMAP - this is something I've actually noticed for some time, but this mailing list seems to be the only one where I see this - Albrecht's previous response was TO: me, and CC: the list. When I hit "G" to reply to the group, the reply windows comes up, but no address in either To: or CC:. If I Reply All, it comes up To: Albrecht, and CC: the list, which is not wrong, but I have a personal preference to To: the list, and CC: the individual (which I often omit, especially if I know the person is subscribed to the list.).

Jack