Re: New imap problem

Hi Jack,

Le 2018-07-14 à 10:35, Jack via balsa-list a écrit :
Hi andré,

On 07/14/2018 01:55 AM, andré via balsa-list wrote:
Le 2018-07-13 à 16:04, Jack via balsa-list a écrit :
That started all of this was a sent message I managed to not save a local copy of.  Problem with gmail is once you have downloaded a message by pop3, there seems to be no way to reset it to download again.

That is one of the reasons why I stopped using gmail.  Other services, such as Yahoo, don't have this problem.
I haven't found any service which doesn't have some problem or other. Believe me, I wouldn't use it purely by choice.  This is an account from my alumni association, so it's a free educational account, and I like having the address associated with my university.  Yahoo doesn't have this problem, but it has plenty of others, and getting actual help is equally impossible.

Most free services aren't much for help. I've found gmail was much better than most. Their on line documentation even helped me with problems with other services. Unfortunately losing emails as invisible spam on pop3 was too much.

... The other thing I sometimes check is the spam folder, since there seems to be no way to download it anyway and make my own spam decision locally.  In an attempt to turn down gmail's spam threshold, I need to use their web access to mark as not spam - unless anyone has a better way.

Don't think there is a better way.  In my experience, even marking many emails as not spam, gmail would still often mark legitimate emails as spam.  As well as missing real spam.
What I'd really like is to allow even spam to be downloaded by pop3. Then I could completely ignore the server's opinion. Recently, Yahoo has been filtering a lot of stuff into the Bulk Mail filter, but I have no idea why they do that instead of spam, which all of it is.

Maybe that (relatively) new DCIM (or similar) factor. It used to cause me problems with my yahoo account (but not recently), and affected many others on my various mailing lists. Mostly I use the french-language laposte.net (by the french postal service). There I get everything via pop3, even if tagged as spam. They add 'SPAM' in the title, but I managed to turn that off somehow.

Jack
--
André