Re: [Patch] Enable multi-threaded POP3 retrieval

Oh so close. I don't know if the attachment will get through to the list. It shows four fetches going on at the same time, which is a GREAT advantage for me, as some or many of them will just time out, due to Yahoo strangeness. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work for me. The problem here is that I uses popfile ( for my spam filtering. In order to use it, all my mailboxes in Balsa are on localhost, with the actual connection information included in the listed user name. I suspect that Popfile simply can't handle more than one connection at a time, so it overlaps it's responses, and doesn't cleanly close any of the connections. Balsa just sat there for several minutes with the four connetions twiddling away - I finally just closed Balsa. I'll play a bit more, but I suspect that either I won't be able to use this, or I'll have to give up on using Popfile. (That last option is not out of the question, as I do get relatively little spam, and some of my servers do their own spam filtering anyway, no matter how hard I work to turn it off. I'll also check with the Popfile team, but there has been so little activity there in a long time, I don't think I'll get much traction looking for any changes.

Does anyone know of any other locally running, bayesian spam filtering software?


On 2018.01.03 10:11, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi all,

attached is a larger patch which enables multi-threaded retrieval of POP3 messages. The biggest part of the patch is related to changes of the progress dialogue implementation, though. It also changes the preferences by replacing the old (retrieve) progress dialogue options by two simple check boxes for enabling the send and receive progress, respectively. As a side effect, we get rid of a bunch of global variables used for the POP3 progress communication between the main and retrieval threads which is a lot cleaner IMHO.

BTW, the patch removes the (now obsolete) file src/threads.h. I noticed that the file libbalsa/gforest.c is not referenced everywhere – couldn't we remove it?

As always, any comment is welcome!


Patch details:
* libbalsa/libbalsa-marshal.list, libbalsa/mailbox.[ch]: new simplified signature for the mailbox '' signal and the related helper libbalsa_mailbox_progress_notify() * libbalsa/libbalsa-progress.[ch]: heavy re-factoring of the progress dialogue, including a fully thread-safe interface, simplified access functions, and a new activity mode * libbalsa/mailbox_pop3.c, libbalsa/send.[ch]: use new progress dialogue interface, pass option to disable send progress dialogue * src/balsa-app.[ch]: define and initialise enable progress dialogue settings, use changed send function signature * src/balsa-message.c, src/balsa-mime-widget-message.c, src/balsa-mime-widget-vcalendar.c, src/sendmsg-window.c: use changed send function signature * src/main-window.[ch]: implement multi-threaded POP3 retrieval, remove old progress implementation, use changed send function signature, replace two-state enum by bool
* src/main.c: remove old progress implementation stuff
* src/pref-manager.c: replace progress dialogue settings by two new bool values and related check boxes
* src/save-restore.c: save/restore new progress dialogue bool values
* src/threads.h: completely remove the file

------quoted attachment------
balsa-list mailing list
balsa-list gnome org

Attachment: multi-pop-fetch.png
Description: PNG image

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]