Re: webkit2 and copying

On 2017.06.07 07:56, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
First - I realize I misread something in your original message, which slightly misdirected my earlier reply. You (and I) are currently using webkit2. I believe only webkit is deprecated, not webkit2 (but the numbering certainly leads to some confusion, as I remember.) Then, you were asking what might be different with gtkhtml4.

[snip...]
# grep-available -P gtkhtml | grep ^Package
Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-common
Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-0
Package: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
Package: libgtkhtml3.14-19
# apt-get install libgtkhtml-4.0-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libgtkhtml-4.0-0
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'
#
gtkhtml-4.10-0 is available for me under Gentoo. I don't have an ubuntu system handy, but can you try something like "apt search gtkhtml" ? I'm not familiar with grep-available, but it appears it is using a database out-of-sync with your actual system. (No, I have no idea which is or isn't correct - but re-syncing both of them might be a first start, although I have no idea how to do that.)
According to the man page, "[t]he programs grep-available, grep-status, grep-aptavail and grep-debtags are aliases of (actually, symbolic links to) grep-dctrl. These aliases use as their default input the dpkg(1) available and status files, the apt-cache dumpavail output and the debtags dumpavail output, respectively." So there should be no second database that could be out of sync. Nevertheless, with your approach I can find nothing relevant:
So these are specific to distributions that use dpkg/apt and friends, which is why I don't have any of them. However, I still don't see how your grep-available example found libgtkhtml-4.0-0 but apt-get install did not find it. (I would ask if by any strange chance, it is already installed, except you said that ./configure didn't find it.) This seems like a question for your distribution. One off the wall suggestion - what happens with "apt-get install gtkhtml" in case the version numbers are not considered part of the package name?

# apt search gtkhtml
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done

Jack