Re: webkit2 and copying

Title: Re: webkit2 and copying

Hi, Jack,

On 06/06/2017 10:13:07 PM, Jack wrote:

> Hello Andreas,

> On 2017.06.06 08:38, Andreas Schmidt wrote:

>> If I select text in a mail (or mail part, in multipart messages) with Content-Type: text/plain and right-click it, the menu contains an item "Copy". This item is missing for message parts with Content-Type: text/html, and copying the selected text manually by using <CTRL>+<C> does not work. However, I noticed that although I cannot copy the text to the clipboard, I still can highlight the text with the mouse and then paste the selected text via middle-click into another document.

> I see the same, but in the HTML part, I can select Edit/Copy - it just is not present in the right click context menu.  Also for me, even in HTML part, Ctl-C does work.

you're right! I just noticed that copying works from the Menu (Edit/Copy). For some reason (perhaps recent updates?), CTRL-C now seems to work as well -- although I'm *quite* sure it didn't work the last times I checked. That's why, I had intended for quite some time to report this issue before I actually got around to it yesterday. So the current status is: copying from a HTML-formatted mail or mail part *does* work, but the item "Copy" is missing from the right-click menu.

>> Perhaps this issue occurs only with webkit2? According to the README file, the following options are allowed for the HTML widget:

>> --with-html-widget=(no|gtkhtml4|webkit|webkit2)

>> If I remember correctly, webkit is deprecated, and is only there for backwards compatibility. Using gtkhtml4, I get the error "You enabled gtkhtml4 but it was not found." OK, let's search the available packages for gtkhtml:

>> # grep-available -P gtkhtml | grep ^Package

>> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-common

>> Package: libgtkhtml-4.0-0

>> Package: libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0

>> Package: libgtkhtml3.14-19

>> # apt-get install libgtkhtml-4.0-0

>> Reading package lists... Done

>> Building dependency tree

>> Reading state information... Done

>> E: Unable to locate package libgtkhtml-4.0-0

>> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'

>> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgtkhtml-4.0-0'

>> #

> gtkhtml-4.10-0 is available for me under Gentoo.  I don't have an ubuntu system handy, but can you try something like "apt search gtkhtml" ?  I'm not familiar with grep-available, but it appears it is using a database out-of-sync with your actual system.  (No, I have no idea which is or isn't correct - but re-syncing both of them might be a first start, although I have no idea how to do that.)

According to the man page, "[t]he  programs  grep-available,  grep-status, grep-aptavail and grep-debtags are aliases of (actually, symbolic links to) grep-dctrl.  These aliases use as their default input the dpkg(1) available and status files, the apt-cache dumpavail output and the debtags dumpavail output, respectively." So there should be no second database that could be out of sync. Nevertheless, with your approach I can find nothing relevant:

# apt search gtkhtml

Sorting... Done

Full Text Search... Done

#