Re: Translatable strings

Hi Peter:

Am 20.11.16 23:08 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
Piotr Drąg has put in a heroic effort to clean up Balsa's user-visible strings[1]. Adopting most of the
proposed changes will improve the polish of Balsa's UI. However, the community might have opinions comments
about a couple of them.

Cool!

One suggestion is to consistently capitalize CC and BCC. Balsa currently uses Cc and Bcc, usually followed by
':', and uses BCC in only one place. Should we capitalize them? And should we drop the colons, which are just
a nod to the corresponding RFC 5322/2822 headers?

This is not really relevant for me, as I use the German translation.  However, IMHO it would be a good idea to adapt to the
"typical" style other MUA's use.  I only have Thunderbird on my box, which shows (see below) the same style as Balsa
does now.  Thus, I would vote for keeping it as is, i.e. capitalised first character, and include the colon.  Not sure how other
"mainstream" applications look like, though.

Another is to change INBOX to Inbox. Personally, I depend on that all-caps shout from IMAP to alert me that
the string refers to an IMAP folder, not my local inbox. But what do users in other locales see? Do IMAP
servers always present the inbox as INBOX, or is it translated?

The German Thunderbird shows the IMAP INBOX in the folder tree as "Posteingang" (i.e. translated).  It always has a
top-level by-account folder grouping which avoids possible confusion about many inbox'es...  In the subscribe dialogue,
Thunderbird shows INBOX (all caps) even in the German GUI.  IIRC, Lookout also presents an IMAP INBOX in German as
"Posteingang".  So the translation would make sense.

The real question in this context is how an application should actually translate the name reported by IMAP.

An other question is why we have /three/ options for accessing IMAP in Balsa, which is extremely confusing
IMHO:
1. "Remote IMAP mailbox" - which is actually only /one/ remote folder for which the path needs to be specified
2. "Remote IMAP folder" - which is the IMAP support all other MUA's provide afaict, minus the possibility to
3. "Remote IMAP subfolder"

To be honest, I never understood the use case of #1 and #3.  The standard way to access IMAP I know from
Thunderbird, kmail and Lookout is actually limited to #2 (including the option to subscribe/unsubscribe
folders).  In this (and *only* in this!) use case, the user can name the top-level item according to e.g. the
provider name, and /then/ it would be possible to translate the IMAP top-level item.

Just my €0.01...

Cheers
Albrecht.