Re: Spell checking with Gspell

On 2016.06.30 12:49, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi Peter:

Am 29.06.16 02:43 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
GtkSpell, which Balsa has used to provide inline spell checking, is not actively maintained, and can be replaced with Gspell[1] with no loss of functionality. Gspell is essentially the Gedit spell checker, and is also used by LaTeXila.

That sounds like an interesting alternative! However, it doesn't seem to be very popular yet; Debian has packages for sid (unstable) and stretch (testing) only, Ubuntu even not for yakkety. So I *think* those will rely on GtkSpell for the time being. Apart from the fact that Debian/Ubuntu still ship with Balsa 2.4.12... :-(
Gentoo has gspell 0.1.2 as stable and 0.2.2, 0.2.3, and 1.0.2 as testing versions, so I'll try to find time to give it a test.

Support for using Gspell as a replacement for GtkSpell has been added to the gtk3 branch. The configure option "--with-gtkspell" has been replaced by "--with-spell-checker=(no|gtkspell|gspell)", with the default still being "no".

Nice!

Gspell provides both inline spell checking and a spell-check dialog, much like Balsa's own dialog, which is implemented when neither Gspell nor Gtkspell is configured. If there is interest, Balsa could use Gspell to offer both inline checking and the dialog, but we'd need to have a discussion about the UI for supporting that; the current UI has only one option, which toggles inline checking if either Gspell or Gtkspell is used, or pops up the dialog if neither is configured.

IMO, the inline spell checker is absolutely sufficient. Just my €0.01, though...
I agree, although I'm not particularly committed to either approach.

Jack