Re: Now griping about Yahoo. was: gmail issues. was: Anyone else seeing slow gmail

Hi Jack,

On 07/21/2016 02:27:55 PM Thu, Jack wrote:
On 2016.07.21 14:01, Mike Witt wrote:
On 07/21/2016 11:09:56 AM, Jack wrote:
Just to complain more, another problem I have is I occasionally get an email which breaks my pop download -
it consistently drops the connection in the middle of downloading that message.  Unfortunately, because of
google's great wisdom that labels make folders unnecessary, I can't simply move the message out of the was to
another folder, so i can look at it later.  (It hasn't happened in a while, but I suspect this message may
trigger another one soon....)

Yikes. I haven't seen that one yet.

Oh well, at least balsa does work with it.

Thank goodness. If that stops working ...

Well, last time I checked, popmail still worked with Yahoo. There's one backup.

I used to have sbcglobal (aka AT&T) as my ISP, and sbcglobal.net email is handled by Yahoo.

A while back, AT&T bailed out of Connecticut land lines, and sold to Frontier.  frontier.com email is also
handled by Yahoo.

I also have a real "yahoo.com" email address, although I can't remember the last time I used it.

Every now and then I get any of several "doesn't make sense" error messages when trying to download pop3 from one of the yahoo managed email accounts. Sometimes it "internal server error" but more commonly some temporary error with "try again later." Even worse, I sometimes get some security related error or bounce trying to send a message. I have never been able to get any sort of explanation or useful response about any of those issues. Worse, it appears that all sbcglobal.net email addresses are essentially abandoned in terms of management. If you try to get help from Yahoo, they say to call AT&T. If you call AT&T, once they realize you are in CT, they immediately transfer the call to Frontier. If you talk to Frontier, they say sbcglobal.net addresses still belong to AT&T. My suspicion is that it is actually less effort for Yahoo to just let it run until it eventually dies, then it would be to take any active effort to close it down. I have gone to quite a bit of eff ort to try to ferret out all the accounts I've ever used the sbcglobal.net address for to change it to something I won't have to change again.

My bellsouth.net address is now also handled by Yahoo, and I too quite frequently get those error messages.
The worst part for me is that I occasionally get stuck in a loop, downloading the same messages endlessly. I
have to exit Balsa and use the web interface to remove everything. Mostly when that happens, I find one or
more messages with attachments in the mailbox, not huge, but several MB. I've desk-checked the POP3 code
without finding any obvious cause...