Re: Sv: Balsa 2.5.2 "Failure to sync mailbox xxxx"

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 06:06:45PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 04:39:31PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 08:00:12AM +0100, Pawel Salek wrote:
Fred,

there are number of reasons syncing mailbox state may fail - exactly
as you figured out! Does anything get printed when you run balsa in
a terminal window?

yes there is, though it wasn't obviously meaningful to me. I'll try again
later on today and see if I can find something there, and will post
some of it to the list for you to see.

here's what appears in the terminal window where balsa was started:

$ balsa

(balsa:19394): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided
by any .service files
Network is available   (Thu 14 Jan 2016 05:52:30 PM EST)
openjdk version "1.8.0_65"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
[fredex fcshome Desktop]$

the Gtk warning pops up right away when it is started. the openjdk
messages appear when the first mailbox is opened.

I also looked in /var/log/messages and see nothing suspicious there, as
well as some of the other files there just in case messages weren't
being logged where I expected.

I triggered the failure to sync message several times but nothing showed
up here beyond the two groups mentioned above.

I should note that I am using the MATE desktop. However, the system
was originally installed as a Gnome system, and I added MATE (from epel)
after the fact, so all the gnome bits should actually be there (but not,
apparently, actually running).

The hardcore was is to run strace -olog -ff /path/to/balsa and grep
for failed accesses to the mailbox - but this is bit more
demanding...

if nothing else works...

I guess it's time to try strace, since the above steps don't seem to
reveal anything telling. I'll post that separately, later on.

I've run it with strace, and as one might expect there is so much
output that I can't sort my way thru it.

I've captured a full run, where I exit the program right after the
error message appears, and another where I "kill -15 balsa" right
after the error.

I'm sure they're too big to send thru this list (around 2 1/2 MB,
give or take).

So,... I've copied the one that I killed to pastebin, under the name
"balsa-mailbox-sync-error".

I'm hoping that someone of you here can make sense of it and help me
figure out what the problem is.

<snippage>
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex fcshome stoneham ma us ----------------------------